Article nameWhat documents do I need to visit or layover in New Zealand?

If your final destination is New Zealand or you have a layover in the country, you must have a valid passport and the new electronic travel authorization, NZeTA (New Zealand Electronic Travel Authority).

Starting October 1, 2019, this requirement is mandatory for passengers of all nationalities (except New Zealanders and Australians). You cannot enter the country without an NZeTA.

Keep in mind that: 

- You must request an NZeTA through New Zealand Authority channels: via the form on their website or a mobile app (download it for free from the App Store or Google Play).

- When you make an NZeTA request, you must have the valid passport you will use for travel, a credit or debit card (Visa or Mastercard) and an e-mail address on hand.

- The process to obtain an NZeTA may take up to 72 hours.

- The NZeTA is valid for 2 years and can be transferred to a new, valid passport.

Also, if you are planning to stay in New Zealand, you must pay for the International Visitor Conservation and Tourism Levy (IVL), which will be added to your total when purchasing an NZeTA.

For example:

  • If you are traveling to New Zealand as a tourist, you have to pay for an NZeTA and for the IVL.
  • If you are going to or returning from Australia and have a layover in New Zealand, you only have to pay for an NZeTA.
  • If you are traveling to New Zealand on a Working Holiday visa, you do not need to pay for an NZeTA or the IVL, because both fees are already included in your visa.

To make your request and for more information, go to the New Zealand Immigration website or contact your local consulate or embassy.